Friday, February 6, 2009

been a while

None of us have posted here in a while. Myself included. I'd like to remedy that and revive the blog a bit. Per my posting on my personal blog this morning, I have a question:

Is it possible to be "best friends" with someone you haven't seen, or even talked to, in over a year? They say "Absence makes the heart grow fonder", but they also say, "Time heals all wounds." I think those two sentiments are pushing against each other at the same time they're pulling away. They're clashing for me right now, personally, and I'd love to get your take on it. Feel free to post your "answer" and give me your thoughts. I'll have to wait till later as it took me a while to write the other one and I have to get ready for work.

I know this will be stirring the pot for a couple of you, cause I used the words "best" and "friend" together. I respect (and admire) your refusal to talk about this stuff to spare people's feelings, but you don't have to name drop. I think you're accomplished enough writers to be able to work around specifics.

2 comments:

... said...

I completely think it's possible.

To me, "best" is someone who pretty much knows everything about you, laughs at the things about you that everyone else on the planet thinks is annoying as hell, knows all your drama and insecurities - and loves you through it all.

sometimes you drift, other times you get closer - it's all in the nature of relationships. You can have one - you can have a few..

Pretty much ALL of my best friends are far away from me - aside from Keith - but he doesn't count ;-)

It's not about the miles, darlin' - it's about where that person is in your heart - even if you are not in the same place in thiers. *shrug* Atleast that's how I see it...

Etepay said...

In my opinion it is completely possible, but for slightly different reasons than Julie.

To me a best friend doesn't have to know "everything" about you, they just have to know a part of you that no one else understands. It's not about knowing where you eat all the time, but maybe what makes you cry. Sometimes it's more than going to see a movie, it's the person you trust to talk to in your darkest hour.

I don't usually list best friends because of the drama involved because they are always trying to compete, but each of them is my best friend because they know different sides to me. I hate that people think there has to be "one" best friend.

Distance makes no difference, would it be nice to be close? Yes, but as adults life gets in the way, sometimes more than either party thinks it should. That doesn't mean you're any less of friends. Best friends are able to pick up right where they left off because they know you.

A "Best" friendship can stand the test of time, the test of distance, or anything else put in its path. A best friend can sit in silence with you for an hour and when you part both of you feel better without ever saying a word because they know you and were with you.

I have a couple of best friends that I only speak to once a year, but I don't consider them any less of friends than the ones I see everyday.

Only the two people involved can decide what effects their friendship, and what doesn't.

And you thought you were a comment novelist. ;)