Monday, January 10, 2011

cold again

I know, I know. Go figure, right?

So I mentioned on my facebook page this morning that I needed to go put on a toboggan. When I was growing up, that was the word we used for stocking caps, which were usually knitted yarn cozies for your head. I went on to describe the super-fantastic hats we all had as kids from Whirlpool, where a lot of our family members tended to work.

Which leads me to TWO questions today:

1. What is something that stands out as an under-used or entirely unknown word in your adult life that was used frequently as a child?

I rarely hear anyone use the term "toboggan" in reference to anything other than a sled these days. I've also noticed that the word "soda" is forgotten in favor of "pop".

2. What one article of clothing from your childhood do you wish you still had?

I would love to have my Whirlpool toboggan. I was also reminded yesterday (via a friend's tie-tack) of those awesome "Western" shirts we had as kids with the pearl snap buttons. I love me some snap buttons!

2 comments:

ellenjane said...

1- My mom was an english teacher that retired to be a children's librarian. There are no words I heard as a kid I don't really hear now unless you count boobies, which I don't really :)

2- My red gumball sweat suit. My great aunt used to get us sweat suits and they were so cozy. I also had the ass to pull off sweat pants.

Etepay said...

most of the words I heard as a kid were in German and I learned at an early age that I had no idea what they meant, only the context in which they were used. It got me into some trouble a school once or twice. lol.

I didn't really have any favorite pieces of clothes that I miss.