Thursday, October 2, 2008

you have GOT to be kidding me

"The House will be voting on a bill packed with $100 billion worth of extra incentives than Monday's proposal had.

Some of those additions have been assailed by spending watchdogs as "pork," like the $6 million for the makers of kids' wooden arrows, according to a summary of the bill released by the Senate Finance Committee.

Other goodies intended to attract the votes of individual members of Congress include $192 million for the rum producers of Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands, $128 million for car racing tracks, $33 million for corporations operating in American Samoa, and $10 million for small film and television productions." (Source)


So from what I've read over the last two days, I'm understanding it this way: The House rejected the original SEVEN HUNDRED BILLION DOLLAR package, mostly based on the "will of the people". Their constituents said "Don't do it", and they listened.

Now they're trying to pass a different bill in which they're changi....

Wait.

What?

They're not passing a different bill?

Oh I see. America didn't like the bill. So instead of changing IT, they're going to run it back through again. Only this time, they're going to add another $100 billion in "incentives" to get more votes. Most of those incentives being "pork".

Riiiiight.

2 comments:

Etepay said...

(joining in banging head against wall)


And people wonder why nothing ever gets done.

I think if the wooden arrow people get "incentive aka bail out money" then I should register a request for my business.

Why don't we all just ask for more money, I mean it's just a number right?

I think I'll use mine for pitch forks, torches, and gas to get to Washington.

ellenjane said...

My dad was talking about the bailout bill and he started tearing up and saying how he hated the bill, thought it was stupid, but without it people would starve to death this winter. That's only if they didn't freeze to death first. He said it would make the great depression look like a picnic.
(all of this 45 minutes before I closed on my house)
Something about the way the economy runs mostly on a lending basis and if companies can't borrow money they can't buy inventory, and so on and so forth.

I don't really understand the whole thing, so I'm sure my opinion is useless. But I trust my dad and trust his heart, and I when I see it broken over something then I tend to get a little nervous about something that scares him.